Peppermint Kiss Meringues
I remember the first time I tried meringue cookies. I was in high school, volunteering at an after school program and my dad came to pick me up bearing my mom's latest culinary creation; chocolate meringue cookies. They were wonderful, so light and airy, yet crunchy too. Very much a cookie but also something more. My mom never made them again but I've been dreaming about them ever since.
A few years ago I saw meringue cookies called meringue kisses and if this was the cartoon world I often imagine it to be a lightbulb would have been over my head at that moment. What if you piped the meringue around a chocolate kiss? Then they really would be meringue kisses, not just from the shape but a delightful little surprise inside too! In amongst the chaos of moving and having a baby, not having the time to make them etc. etc. a few years went by before I was able to bring my idea to fruition.
Then, the magical day. no fancy supplies just an empty oven, a clean kitchen and my toddler in bed. December 22, I made peppermint meringue kisses. So far it has worked out far better than I imagined. in my head I saw the meringue sliding off the sides of the kisses, or simply not wanting to be piped prettily as I have no piping tips large enough for this task. But no! so far, every thing has gone smoothly. Aside from my husband fearing the mixer would wake our child.
Currently I am standing at the counter typing and doing my best to resist peeking in at the little darlings in the oven. They still have over an hour to bake and then all night to sit and become magical! There is still the potential for devastation in the morning but huzzah! I will think hopefully for my little gems!
I did not take any process photographs yet as I am still trying to remember to do that in general but thats okay because the piping of the red meringue inside the bag for the white meringue; to make stripes, was not elegant.
Its so difficult not to open the oven to look at them! I just want them to turn out beautifully. I'd really like to use them in my cookie tray for Christmas dessert!
Comments
Post a Comment